Online Self-Serve Tax Preparation
VITA Quick Facts
- The Free Tax Assist program is an online program that began in 2013 in the El Paso community brought to us by the IRS.
- The Free Tax Assist program offers free online self-tax preparation to taxpayers free of charge for taxpayers that earn $62,000 or less.
- The tax payer can select the online tax vendor of their choice, free of charge.
- IRS-trained volunteers are available to help answer questions via phone or email.
- The VITA face-to-face option began in 2003.
- Taxes are filed at no charge by IRS-trained volunteers.
- Taxpayers who earn $54,000 or less qualify for this tax assistance program.
- The VITA program offers a face-to-face meeting with a trained tax preparer at 12 locations. Dial 211 for site locations and hours.
- Earned Income Tax Credit is a federal tax credit for low- and moderate-income community members.
- This credit supports working tax payers and helps offset federal payroll and income taxes.
- This tax credit may help tax payers get an additional refund.
- Qualifications include those who have low to moderate income and who work or own their own business, with annual incomes between $39,300 and $53,500. Other requirements required. Ask a VITA volunteer to see if you qualify.
- Tax preparers can do a 3-year lookback and the taxpayer can receive thousands of dollars in a refund.