VITA QUICK FACTS
Option 1: Taxpayer will drive or walk to the greeter and will be asked to scan a QR code that will link them to the intake form at freetaxeselpaso.org. They will fill this out and when it is complete, the greeter will scan their IDs and tax forms using a scanning software.
Option 2: Taxpayers who do not have the ability to fill out the form online through the QR code will drive or walk to the greeter and will be given a paper intake form to fill out manually. Once they complete the form, it will be scanned along with their IDs and other tax documents.
ONLINE SELF-SERVE TAX PREPARATION
- The Free Tax Assist program is an online program from the IRS that began in El Paso in 2013
- The program offers online self-tax preparation that’s free of charge for taxpayers that earn $72,000 or less
- The taxpayer can select the online tax vendor of their choice, free of charge
- IRS-trained volunteers are available to help answer questions via phone or email
FACE-TO-FACE TAX PREPARATION (ON HOLD FOR 2021 TAX SEASON)
- The VITA face-to-face options began in 2003
- Taxes are filed at no charge by IRS-trained volunteers
- Taxpayers who earn $57,000 or less qualify for this tax-preparation assistance program
- The VITA program offers a face-to-face meeting with a trained tax preparer at many locations throughout the El Paso area. Dial 211 for site locations and hours.
EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT
- Earned Income Tax Credit is a federal tax credit for low- and moderate-income community members
- This credit supports working taxpayers and helps offset federal payroll and income taxes
- This tax credit may help taxpayers get an additional refund
- Qualifications include those who have low to moderate income and who work or own their own business with annual incomes between $39,300 and $53,500. Other requirements apply. Ask a VITA volunteer to see if you qualify
- Tax preparers can do a three-year lookback and the taxpayer can receive thousands of dollars in a refund
RECOVERY REBATE CREDIT
The Recovery Rebate Credit is authorized by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act. Any eligible individual who did not receive the full amount of the recovery rebate as an advance payment, also known as an Economic Impact Payment, can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on a 2020 Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR. Generally, this credit will increase the amount of your tax refund or lower the amount of the tax you owe.